Winners will be announced soon.
By using this website, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to be legally bound by these Official Rules and are eligible to enter the competition under these Rules. If you do not accept any of these Official Rules you are not authorized to use this website or otherwise participate in this Race. The word “use” is understood to include, but is not limited to, any direct or indirect access or interaction or exchange of data with this website, including participating in this Race.
1. GENERAL: NO PURCHASE OR DONATION NECESSARY. All applicable federal, state, and local regulations govern this race. The sponsor of this Virtual Race Across Texas (“Race”) is the Texas State Historical Association, a U.S.-based non-profit organization (“Sponsor”).THIS RACE IS VOID IN CUBA, IRAN, NORTH KOREA, SUDAN, AND SYRIA AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW, REGULATIONS OR CUSTOMS. Participants are responsible for complying with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and with these Official Rules, and by entering, participants agree to be bound to these Official Rules. By entering this Race, you consent to receiving communications from Sponsor, an affiliated entity or corporate partner from which you can unsubscribe at any time.
2. ELIGIBILITY:To be eligible to enter this Race AND be eligible to win a weekly prize and/or the Grand Prize, at the time you enter (i) you must be at least the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence and no less than at least eighteen (18) years of age and (ii) you MUST NOT reside in Cuba, Florida (U.S.), Iran, New York (U.S.), North Korea, Rhode Island (U.S.), Sudan, Syria, or any other jurisdiction where participation is prohibited or restricted by law, regulations or customs. In the event that laws, regulations, or customs in your jurisdiction either do not permit or impose limitations on the access to the contents of this website, participating in competitions and/or awarding prizes (“Restrictions”), you shall immediately discontinue access or comply with any such Restrictions (as the case may be).
If (i) you are thirteen (13) years of age or older but less than eighteen (18) years of age AND (ii) you DO NOT reside in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria and are not otherwise subject to any Restrictions as defined above in this Section 2, then you will be eligible to enter this Race, BUT YOU WILL ONLY BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN THE WEEKLY PRIZES IN ACCORDANCE WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN THE GRAND PRIZE.
Employees and volunteers of Sponsor, its advertising and its promotional agencies, its national partners and each of their respective parent entities and subsidiaries, and their respective officers, directors, members of their immediate families, and the members of the same households of such individuals are not eligible. The term “immediate families” includes spouses, parents, siblings, and children. No groups, clubs, or organizations may participate in this Race or reproduce or distribute any portion of these Official Rules to their members. Sponsor will not award a prize to anyone not meeting eligibility requirements at the time of entry.
3. HOW TO ENTER AND WIN: By entering, you agree to comply with all applicable laws and these Official Rules, and you agree to abide by all decisions of Sponsor. All times in these Rules refer to U.S. Central Daylight Time (CDT). The Race entry period begins at 12:01am Tuesday, July 11, 2017, and ends at 11:59pm on Sunday, August 27, 2017 (“Race Period”). Log into www.raceacrosstexas.com for an opportunity to win the prizes offered each week and for a chance to win the Grand Prize. Only one (1) entry per email address and only one (1) entry per person. Entrants must be the registered subscriber of the email account from which the entry is made. You may enter once during the Race Period. Multiple entries received from any person or email address will void all such additional entries. In order to receive prizes, a valid physical address and phone number must be submitted on the profile page.
To participate, log into www.raceacrosstexas.com and look for the daily trivia questions found on the Dashboard page. Each week, the participant(s) with the most total points from correctly answering the most questions or from recruiting friends and family who then play TSHA’s Virtual Race Across Texas will be eligible to win the weekly prizes. The eligible Race participant verified to have the most points from the five methods below will be eligible to win the Virtual Race Across Texas Grand Prize.
WAYS TO EARN RACE POINTS: (1) Complete your Race profile – 200 points; (2) Recruit others who then register with a working email address, join Race activities, and confirm you recruited them – 25 points per person; (3) Answer Daily Race questions correctly – 25 points for each correct answer for players who do not become a member or donate at least $60 through the game’s functionality, 50 points for each correct answer for players who become a member or donate at least $60 through the game’s functionality; (4) Become a TSHA Member – 500 points. Players cannot earn the 500 points for becoming a TSHA Member if they have already made a one-time donation of at least $60 while logged into the game’s website.; (5) Make a one-time donation of at least $60 – 500 points. Players who become a member through the game’s functionality either prior to or after the game begins are ineligible to earn points by donating.
The contest period for Week One begins at 12:01am on Monday, August 7, 2017, and ends at 11:59pm on Sunday, August 13, 2017. The contest period for Week Two begins at 12:01am on Monday, August 14, 2017, and ends at 11:59pm on Sunday, August 20, 2017. The contest period for Week Three begins at 12:01am on Monday, August 21, 2017, and ends at 11:59pm on Sunday, August 27, 2017. Again, all times in these Official Rules refer to U.S. Central Daylight Time (CDT).
4. ODDS:Odds of becoming a weekly winner and a grand prize winner depend on the number of persons participating and on the ability of participants to correctly answer questions and successfully engage others about the Race on email and particular social media.
5. RACE PRIZES:
Weekly Prizes: “Top 10” Prizes: Each week during the Race Period, the top ten (10) eligible participants (“Top 10”), excluding the Weekly Top Scorer prize winner, verified as having the most points will each win one of three possible prizes. In the event of a tie during a particular week, a Top 10 winner will be determined by the total number of points earned to date in the Race Period by the tied Top 10 finalists. If a tie still remains, a random drawing will be used for the tiebreaker. A participant may be a Top 10 weekly winner only once during the Race Period.
Texas Trivia Experts: 8 participants, excluding those who win a Top 10 prize, who correctly answered all of the Texas Trivia questions from the previous week will be randomly selected to win a Virtual Race Across Texas t-shirt. A participant may be a Top Texas Trivia weekly winner only once during the Race Period.
Top Recruiter Prizes: Each week, the one (1) eligible contestant verified to have the most new recruits credited to them for the given week. In the event of a tie during a particular week, the Top Recruiter will be determined by the total number of points earned to date during the Race Period by the tied Top Recruiter finalists. If a tie still remains, a random drawing will be used for the tiebreaker. A participant may be a Top Recruiter only once during the Race Period. Only one (1) Top Recruiter per household during the Race Period.
Weekly Top Scorer Prizes: Each week the one (1) eligible contestant verified to have the most total points credited to them over the given week will win the Weekly Top Scorer prize for that week. In the event of a tie during a particular week, the Weekly Top Scorer Prize Winner will be determined by the total number of points earned to date during the Race Period by the tied Weekly Top Scorer Prize Winner finalists. If a tie still remains, a random drawing will be used for the tiebreaker. A participant may be a Weekly Top Scorer Prize winner only once during the Race Period. Only one Weekly Top Scorer Prize Winner per household during the Race Period. See the prizes page for the list of prize packages.
The Grand Prize: Subject to the terms and conditions of these Rules, the eligible participant verified to have the greatest number of total points earned by the end of the Race Period (11:59pm, Sunday, August 27, 2017.) will win the Grand Prize. In the event of a tie, Grand Prize winner will be determined by which eligible participant has the most points credited to them from new participants joining and participating in the Race during the Race Period. If a tie still remains, a random drawing will be used for the tiebreaker.
All expenses and incidental travel costs not expressly stated in the prize description above, including but not limited to, transportation, meals, incidentals, gratuities, passenger tariffs or duties, airline fees, taxes, surcharges, airport fees, service charges or facility charges, personal charges such as alcoholic beverages, spa services, and internet usage, security fees, taxes or other expenses are the responsibility solely of the Weekly Top Scorer Prize and Grand Prize winner(s). TRAVEL MUST BE COMPLETED BY March 31, 2018, OR GRAND PRIZE TRIP WILL BE FORFEITED. All Race prizes are awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either expressed or implied by Sponsor. In the event that any prize item is unavailable, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize item of equal or greater value. No substitution of a prize or transfer of a prize to a third party is permitted and a prize cannot be redeemed for cash value.
6. PRIZE VALUES:The approximate retail value of each weekly t-shirt prize is $20 USD. A maximum of twenty-four (24) t-shirts will be awarded with a total retail value of approximately $480 USD. The approximate retail value of week one’s Top 10 prize is $25 USD. A maximum of ten (10) Top 10 prizes will be awarded during week one with a total retail value of approximately $250 USD. The approximate retail value of week two’s Top 10 prize is $95 USD. A maximum of ten (10) Top 10 prizes will be awarded during week two with a total retail value of approximately $950 USD.The approximate retail value of week one’s Top Recruiter prize is $600 USD. The approximate retail value of week two’s Top Recruiter prize is $410 USD. The approximate retail value of week three’s Top Recruiter prize is $300 USD. A maximum of three Top Recruiter prizes will be awarded with a total retail value of approximately $1,310 USD. The approximate retail value of week one’s Weekly Top Scorer prize is $600 USD. The approximate retail value of week two’s Weekly Top Scorer prize is $450 USD. The approximate retail value of week three’s Weekly Top Scorer prize is $530 USD. A maximum of three Weekly Top Scorer prizes will be awarded with a total retail value of approximately $1,580 USD. A maximum of one Grand Prize will be awarded with an approximate retail value of $1,100 USD. Sponsor reserves the right to change the prize values at any time, and any such changes will be announced on www.raceacrosstexas.com.
7. HOW TO CLAIM PRIZES; RISK OF FORFEITURE: Winners will be notified via email. It is the responsibility of each winner to ensure that he or she has provided Sponsor a valid working email address throughout the Race Period. Sponsor will notify each winner by email of the details for claiming each prize. Each weekly winner has forty-eight (48) hours from the date Sponsor sends an email notification to reply. The Grand Prize winner has seven (7) days from the date Sponsor sends an email notification to reply. If a person contacted for the Grand Prize is unreachable after seven (7) days, or if that person is unavailable to claim the Grand Prize, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may select an alternate winner. In the event the selected winners or a companion are/is ineligible or refuse(s) any prize or, if the selected winners or companion fail to timely claim the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may select an alternate winner (time permitting), or, where permitted, may elect not to award such prize to an alternate winner. Any prize offered in this Race will be forfeited if not successfully claimed by 5:00pm CDT on Friday, September 8, 2017.
8. RELEASES; POTENTIAL TAX LIABILITY: Prize winners and any grand prize travel companion must complete and execute an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release. The Grand Prize winner cannot bring a travel companion under the age of majority in the travel companion’s jurisdiction of residence unless (i) the Grand Prize winner is the companion’s parent or legal guardian and (ii) as such, the Grand Prize winner also signs the liability indemnity provided by Sponsor on behalf of the minor companion as a condition of receiving the Grand Prize. Winners must provide government-issued photo-identification and must complete a Request for Taxpayer Identification and a prize acknowledgment and release form. To meet U.S. Federal Tax regulations, to be verified each winner and each travel companion of prizes valued more than $600 who is a permanent legal U.S. resident must also present his or her U.S. Social Security Number. Prizes may be considered income, and taxes on said prizes are solely the responsibility of the winner. Compliance with all regulations is solely the responsibility of the winners and any travel companion. Compliance with any health or government requirements is the responsibility of the Grand Prize winner and any travel companion. It is the responsibility of the Grand Prize winner and any travel companion to inquire about local travel issues and conditions at the selected destination before travel. The Sponsor makes no representation as to the safety, conditions or other issues that may exist at any destination.
9. LIABILITY/PUBLICITY RELEASES: Except where prohibited, entry in the Race constitutes each entrant’s consent for Sponsor and/or an affiliated entity to use, publish, reproduce and distribute for any purpose, including publicity, promotion and advertising, in any media (including without limitation, print, Internet, television, radio, and offline), each winner’s and trip companion’s name, city, photograph, likeness, biographical information, voice, or image, each in perpetuity without further compensation, credit, or right of review or approval. Winners and any trip companion are required to sign and return appropriate forms and/or documentation, including, without limitation, an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and/or where legally permissible a Publicity Release prior to receipt of prize. Failure to sign and return such forms within the requisite timeframe may result in disqualification of the winner and forfeiture of the prize.
This Race is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with either Facebook or Twitter. By submission of a Race entry, a Race entrant releases Facebook and Twitter from any responsibility or liability for the Race’s administration, prizes or promotion. You are providing your entry information to the Sponsor and not to either Facebook or Twitter.
10. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: WINNERS, TRIP COMPANION AND ENTRANTS AGREE, EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW, TO RELEASE AND DISCHARGE, HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY SPONSOR, AND ALL OTHERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT AND EXECUTION OF THIS RACE, FROM ANY AND ALL TAX LIABILITY THAT MAY BE IMPOSED OR ASSOCIATED WITH RECEIPT OR USE OF THE PRIZES, AND FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, ACTIONS, PROCEEDINGS, AND LIABILITY (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STATUTORY DUTY OR OTHERWISE) FOR ANY DIRECT OR INDIRECT DAMAGES, EXPENSES, FEES, INJURY OR LOSSES (INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH) SUSTAINED IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF OR ACCESS TO THIS WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE LINKED TO THIS WEBSITE, RECEIPT, OWNERSHIP, OR USE OF ANY PRIZE OR WHILE TRAVELING TO, PREPARING FOR, OR PARTICIPATING IN ANY RACE-RELATED OR PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY.Sponsor is not responsible for any printing, typographical, mechanical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Race or in the announcement of the prizes.
11. POSSIBLE SPONSOR ACTIONS:If for any reason, the Race is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, and unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, acts of God, war, terrorism, government regulation, disaster, fire, strikes, civil disorder, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity of the Race. Sponsor reserves the right in its discretion to disqualify any individual it believes has tampered with the entry process or Race administration, and/or cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Race and to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. Entries that Sponsor believes, in its sole discretion, to have been generated by a script, macro or other automated means or that are incomplete, illegible or corrupted are void and ineligible and will not be accepted or if accepted will be disqualified. Sponsor retains the discretion to make all decisions regarding the interpretation and application of these Official Rules. All decisions of Sponsor are in its sole discretion and are final.
12. NO ASSUMPTION OF TECHNOLOGY RISKS: Sponsor (i) assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in acquisition, operation or transmission of, communications line failure relating to, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; (ii) is not responsible for any problems relating to or technical malfunction of any communications network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or communications service provider, computer or other equipment, hardware, software, failure of any entry information to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on any communications system, on the Internet or at any website; (iii) does not warrant that this website or any materials or information downloaded from this website are free from any virus, spyware, Trojans, worms or other malicious, destructive or corrupting code, agent, program, or macros, or will not cause damage to any data, program or property; (iv) is not responsible or liable for any losses or damages arising out of any changes, variations or modifications made to the contents of this website by unauthorized third parties; and/or (v) is not responsible for any combination of the foregoing, including any direct, indirect or incidental injury or damage to the participant’s or any other person’s computer or other device related to or resulting from accessing, participation, downloading or use of any materials in this Race.
13. PERSONAL DATA: The Sponsor respects the privacy of your personal information.
13. By providing Sponsor with your personal and other information received by Sponsor for the purposes of reviewing this website or participating in the competition, you hereby consent to the following:
(i) Sponsor may use and share your information with other affiliates, members and partners of Sponsor (in and outside of the United States) to help Sponsor and them:
process, record, execute, monitor, and/or archive your online requests and transactions;
prevent and detect crime;
update Sponsor records;
solicit and record your opinions and feedback through online surveys and feedback requests if you choose to participate.
(ii) Sponsor may disclose your personal and other information to other affiliates, members and partners of Sponsor (in or outside of the United States), but your personal and other information will not be revealed by Sponsor to other third parties except:
where Sponsor has your consent to do so;
where Sponsor is required or permitted to do so by any law, regulation or order of court or other duty;
where Sponsor may transfer the rights and obligations under this agreement; or
to other companies who provide a service to Sponsor or you, including:
(a) third party service providers who host and manage data from this website; or
(b) regulators, lawyers, auditors, consultants, any agent or subcontractor acting on Sponsor’s behalf and Sponsor’s affiliates, members and partners.
To the extent it is necessary for these third parties to provide their services to Sponsor and its affiliates, members and partners or you, and for no other purpose, you also expressly agree that such third party entities may process and manage your personal information in other jurisdictions, and/or transfer and host your personal information to data centers in other jurisdictions.
(iii) In providing your address, telephone number, facsimile number, or email address, you agree that Sponsor and any of its affiliates, members, and partners may contact you by mail, telephone, facsimile, or email. However, if you indicate with your submission of information that you do not wish to receive any promotional material from us, no promotional material will be sent to you.
(iv) By providing Sponsor or otherwise this website with information, you acknowledge and agree that due to the international dimension of Sponsor, we may store, process and use personal data collected in the course of our relationship, and provide that data to other affiliates, members and partners of Sponsor outside your resident jurisdiction. By providing us with information, you specifically consent to the transfer of data containing such information outside of the country or jurisdiction where it was collected for the purposes described in these Official Rules.
(i) If you do not accept the Terms of this Section 13 relating to personal data, please do not provide us with data or information.
(ii) If you would like to check or correct the information we hold about you, please let us know on the tshaonline.org website.
14. OFFICIAL RULES AND LIST OF WINNERS: To receive a copy of these Official Rules, visit www.raceacrosstexas.com or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to TSHA Virtual Race Across Texas Rules, 3001 Lake Austin Blvd., Ste. 3.116, Austin, Texas, 78703, USA. These Official Rules supersede all other published editions. Sponsor reserves the right to change, alter, or amend these Official Rules as necessary, in its sole discretion, to ensure the fair administration of the Race or to comply with applicable law. For a list of the Winners’ names, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to TSHA Virtual Race Across Texas Winners, 3001 Lake Austin Blvd., Ste. 3.116, Austin, Texas, 78703, USA.